Sunday, November 29, 2009

Every Thanksgiving....

Over the past few years it's become a family tradition to spend the weekend after Thanksgiving with mom and Russ and the Garrett part of the family. November 30th is mom's birthday so it gives us an excuse to have some big family dinners, usually a texas hold 'em poker tournament and top it off with a birthday cake.

The drive down to East Prairie from Wood River usually takes about 3 hours. Those hours give us plenty of time to listen to our favorite music....talk about girlfriends and boyfriends and life and death and all the stuff in between.

my favorite part of the drive is usually, twilight....if we leave in the afternoon, we drive through St. Louis around sunset.

This year I am particularly thankful. Mom finished up her radiation treatments on wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. Next week she will meet up with her oncologist and they will come up with a battle plan for the rest of her treatment. Most likely it will involve a little bit more chemotherapy. Her doctor has assured her it won't be as aggressive as what she has previously experienced.

I can't tell her that I know what she's going through...I don't. I can't tell her I feel her pain.... I can't even fathom the pain she goes through. I can't imagine how strong she is....I don't know how to be that strong. All I can do is hope that it will all be over soon...that she won't have to go through this ever again...

All I want for Christmas...is a cure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You won't know how to be that strong until you need to be...