Sunday, July 24, 2011

four words.....


Just four words. They've come to mean a lot to me lately -'Wish you were here'. Always before I could be perfectly happy left to my own devices. Of course, there were times when I would wish for the company of a significant other. I just didn't stress over it, I just would lose myself in a book or become wrapped up in a movie and the longing would pass.

You can tell that you've met someone important in your life when the times when you wish for their company become more often than the times when you don't mind your own solitude. You find yourself wanting their presence as witness to the most mundane things. You need them there with you when you're not at your best to remind you that you're worthy of this relationship. After a rough day at work, you just want someone to commiserate with who will offer you solace and support.

Laughing at a movie is not as much fun alone, a shared guffaw holds far more joy and the sound is much sweeter. Cooking your favorite meal is great, but when you really want to nourish the person you care about with it, the charm is quickly lost and the food itself just doesn't taste the same.

I knew that being in a long distance relationship was going to be a challenge, and it has been and that's okay. I think he's worth it...and I hope he would think the same of me. I know there will come a time when we will be in the same zip code. The time that we do spend together makes it all worth it, and it's not like we live across country from each other. It's only a couple hours by car and compared to others who are in the same kind of relationship... we're very lucky. We still manage to spend a few days together every other week. Some people don't get to see the object of their affection for months on end.

yet..when I'm watching a favorite movie, reading a favorite book, needing a hug after a long day, when I'm waking up in the morning and when I'm just falling asleep.. "wish you were here".

No comments: