Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Tattoo Story


Current mood: creative
You might wonder why a woman of my age would choose to mark her body with permanent ink. I cannot tell you why another woman would do it, but I can tell you why I did. It was about ten years ago and I was finished with the childbearing part of my life. I had lost some weight and I was proud of my accomplishment..

When a milestone in your life comes along...you want to mark the occasion. So,I did.
I wanted to remember that I was a person who still had dreams, that I was more than someone's wife or someone's mother or someone's daughter.

I had strength and will and grace(hence the dagger)but there was the promise of beauty within my soul(hence..the rose). So now a dagger with a pink rose wrapped round it graces my left shoulderblade.

I walked into the "parlor" and a scary guy with more piercings and tattoos than I've ever seen visible in my entire lifetime, designed what would be my tattoo. It took a good chunk of my birthday money to buy myself my "gift" that year. He explained the process to me...and then he set to work.

We talked about our lives and I learned that the big "scary" guy was a college graduate and just loved his work. He was also a very gifted artist and photographer.I learned a valuable lesson, NEVER judge a book by the cover.

As the needles pierced my skin and the colors were transformed into a design that I would wear forevermore, I realized the full impact of what I had done. Pain. Not quite the pain of childbirth, but pain, nonetheless.

The thing about pain is, it teaches us that life hurts, but when the painful part is over something beautiful is left behind

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this tat and this blog is all you!

"...strength and will and grace(hence the dagger)but there was the promise of beauty within my soul(hence..the rose)."

You definantly are a strong woman, your will runs deep and your strength is gracefully beneath your beautiful exterior. Inside I find you even more full of beauty as I mine the depths of who you are!