Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Of reason and logic 3/08

Current mood: calm

Yesterday I asked a question. Why? Why did something so horrible happen to people who were so good? It made no sense to me. I could not understand the reason why the "higher power" would take such a good person, in the prime of his life away from his family.

What is it they say? 'ask and ye shall receive'? Well..yesterday I asked...today I received.

My mom called(like she does nearly every day....if you know me at all) to apprise me of the funeral plans. During the course of the conversation she mentioned that M(the deceased) was an organ donor. "well, of course he was....he was in the medical profession" I told mom. and she said..." No...you don't understand" she said" He has helped other people..since his death..50 gifts were given to other people'..That stopped me..

50. Think about that for a moment. Through his "gifts" he has perhaps given sight to a child, given a woman the chance to breathe freely for the first time in years, took a man off of dialysis, given a burn victim a chance at a normal appearance. So many things we all take for granted. So many lives changed in such a short time.

I get it. I understand. There is the reason. His children will grow up knowing that their dad in his ultimate act of selflessness, will live on. Not a bad legacy to leave your children, if you ask me.

Become an organ donor. Let your loved ones know your wishes. You are all my witnesses. If any thing happens to me. Have them harvest anything they need. I won't have use for it any longer, maybe I can do some good to someone else.

No comments: