Sunday, August 16, 2009

The "perfect" relationship 6/5/09

Over the past weekend I was visiting friends and on my way home I happened to stop in to a Panera Bread company to get some lunch. I wasn't feeling very well and I thought some chicken noodle soup might just do the trick.

While I sat in my little booth observing humanity in all its forms an old man happened to be walking past. Well, ok..he wasn't really walking, more like shuffling. He appeared to be having some trouble balancing his tray and he looked about to fall over. I asked if he would like some help and he gratefully accepted. I had him sit down opposite me and I took his tray and dishes and disposed of them.

"Walter" introduced himself and thanked me for my kindness. I introduced myself and while I finished my soup and he drank his tea we chatted. He asked me if I could guess his age...and his eyes twinkled at me as if he were in on a private joke. "at least 50" I said with a grin. He admitted that he was 80 years old and that astonished me. He seriously didn't look a day over 60. We talked about life and philosophy and the silly ways of men and women.

He was hanging out in Panera Bread company waiting for his "GIRLFRIEND" to move out of their house. After a 3 year relationship they had broken up and now he sat waiting while "she and her kids pick through the rubble". He told me about all the money he had made and how well off he was...and he even asked me if I wanted to help him spend it now that he didnt have anyone to help him do that. I laughed kindly and told him "uh...no.. thank you, Walter...but it was nice to be considered.." He told me I had a lovely smile and I thanked him and asked him if relationships got any easier as we aged.

It was his turn to laugh and he told me that for as long as there are men and women on this earth, things were gonna be interesting. He had yet to find the "perfect" relationship. He said that his wife of 50 years was the closest he had ever come. He lost her several years ago to cancer. He nursed her through the final year or so of her life. He had the money and the resources to have a nurse there with them. He said he wouldnt trade that time for anything in the world. "She had a beautiful smile too, and even when she was real sick, she would give me one anytime I came near her.... I lived for those moments, wouldnt trade them for all the gold in Fort Knox"

Well...I finally decided it was time for me to leave...and "walter" said his son was going to be picking him up soon. As I was leaving... he again offered to let me help him spend his money....I again laughed and this time I gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Walter...I think what we have here...is a perfect relationship, though very brief. Lets just leave it at that ok?"

And with that.....I walked out of his life.

No comments: